With Holi around the corner, and work in full swing, you may have little time to prep for that super awesome party you've planned. But who says that you can't enjoy planning and making yummy goodies that are low on effort, and high on taste.
All you need is a packet of California Walnuts and a crate of Washington Apples. Wholesome flavours, great nutrition value and antioxidants, they're great for balancing out your drinks with mouthwatering sweet and savoury treats.
- California Walnuts - 1 cup
- Condensed milk - 1 cup
- White butter - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- In a pan, add the California Walnuts and slightly toast over medium flame until the skin peels off. Then grind the walnuts to a coarse powder, grease the plate with butter and keep it aside.
- Place a pan on medium heat. Add condensed milk and powdered walnuts to it. Cook the mixture over medium heat until the condensed milk and walnuts mixture becomes thick.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well. Turn off the heat and transfer the walnut mixture to a greased plate.
- Spread the mixture evenly and garnish it with chopped pistachios. Allow it to cool for 8-10 minutes.
- Cut the walnut barfi into squares and garnish it with chopped pistachios.
#LBBTip: Make a little extra and store it in the fridge. Perfect to satiate hunger pangs at office!
- Full cream milk- 1 litre
- Baking soda - ½ pinch
- Washington Apples - 400 grams
- Sugar - 75 grams
- Cashew nut - 13-14
- Raisins - 20-25
- Pistachio - 7-8
- Cardamom- 4-5
- Pour milk into a wok with a thick base, and turn the heat up till it boils. Keep stirring to avoid the milk sticking to the base.
- Cut cashew nuts and raisins into 7-8 pieces and add them. Chop pistachios evenly, peel cardamom and grind it.
- Wash and peel the Washington apples separately and remove the core. Cut them into thin slices.
- Add baking soda to boiling milk and mix well, then add grated apples. Keep stirring the kheer till it comes to boil.
- Cook kheer for 2-3 minutes more while stirring regularly. Add crushed cardamom to kheer and mix.
Garnish it with finely chopped pistachio and cashew nuts.
- Almonds - 1/2 cup
- California Walnuts - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - 4 tablespoons
- Whole black pepper - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Poppy seeds - 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom - 2 tablespoons
- Rosewater - 2 tablespoons
- Water - 2 cups
- Soak almonds in water overnight and then peel off the skins.
- Grind black pepper, fennel seeds, poppy seeds and cardamom. Using a blender, blend the almonds and California walnuts into a paste. Add just enough water to let the blend become a paste.
- In the same blender, add the grinded spices and about ½ cup of water blend until creamy.
- Add 1 cup of water and sugar. Strain the mix through the fine strainer or cheesecloth.
- Discard remaining ground mash. Mix the almond liquid, milk, and rose water.
We recommend adding a decorative rose petal and some crushed almonds for the perfect look.
- Washington Apples - 1
- Water chestnut flour - 1/2 cup
- Cornflour -1 teaspoon
- Yogurt - 1 teaspoon
- Fruit salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cinnamon powder - 1 teaspoon
- Ghee - 1 cup
- In a deep bowl, mix water chestnut flour, corn flour, yogurt and add some water. Mix well to form a lump free batter.
- Peel the skin of the Washington Apple and cut it into small pieces. Coat the apple pieces with water chestnut flour and cinnamon powder and keep aside. Add fruit salt to the prepared batter.
- Heat ghee in a pan, coat apple pieces in the prepared batter and deep fry in hot oil till it turns brown on all sides.
- Drain the apple pieces on an absorbent paper. Drop them in the sugar syrup and let it soak completely for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate. Decorate with chopped pistachios and almonds and serve hot.
Add some rabri to it for your guests to keep hankering for more.
Fig & Walnut Kulfi
- Milk - 1 litre
- Sweetened condensed milk - 1 can
- Heavy cream - 1 cup
- Cardamom powder - 1 teaspoon
- California Walnut -1/2 cup
- Dried figs - 8
- Water - 1 cup
- Place the figs in a bowl with the milk and water. Microwave for a minute, then cover the bowl and let the figs soak for 10-15 minutes to soften and rehydrate. Chop the figs into small pieces.
- Mix together the evaporated milk, condensed milk, cream, half of the California Walnuts and half of the fig pieces.
- Process with immersion blender/ food processer/ regular blender for a few seconds.
- Add the cardamom and the rest of the walnut and fig pieces to the kulfi mixture and stir in.
- Pour the mixture into a container and freeze for several hours till solid. Lining the container with plastic wrap is an easy way to unmold the kulfi without a mess. Freeze in molds for individual servings.
We recommend adding sticks in the molds to make it a kulfi on a stick, since we can never get enough of those.
So go ahead and start prepping, we promise this will be one epic Holi party with these home-made treats.