No More Nitro: Haryana Bans All Food & Drinks That Are Mixed With Liquid Nitro

Maanya posted on 31 July

Shortcut

On Jul 3, a Delhi man went from a bar in Gurgaon to the hospital with a big hole in his stomach. The culprit? A drink prepared with liquid nitro. This incident brought the risks of consuming liquid nitro into the spotlight and, as on Jul 28, the Haryana government has banned its use in food prep.

Up In Smoke

The rise of molecular gastronomy across restaurants and bars in Gurgaon has led to a rise in the use of liquid nitro. Freezing anything almost instantly, liquid nitro has a boiling point of -195.8 degrees and consumption of it can damage tissue inside the mouth and the abdomen. The 30-year-old man who ended up with his stomach “open like a book” consumed his drink before the smoke dissipated; to prevent incidents like this the Haryana FDA department has issued a blanket ban on its use {flushing or mixing} with any food or drink article.

H/T: Hindustan Times